Start-up, round 2: xs2.me
Although I’ll still be making sure the transition of Tjoos goes smoothly over the next few months, I do find myself with a fair bit of time to work on new stuff. Recently I was part of the team that launched DateBrowsr while on the StartupBus (thanks Elias!). More seriously I’ve been doing some initial work on an old idea: xs2.me
I have a problem. I have facebook, twitter, an iPhone, Outlook, LinkedIn and I use all of these to connect with people and communicate. It’s a mess. I don’t know who I’m connected with where. I never have someone’s phone number when I need it most. As I said, it’s a mess. To solve this problem I thought it would be cool if a website could get all the contact details out of all my accounts and de-dupe it. Then I would be able to tag my contacts (friend, business, ex-girlfriend, collegue) and setup a rule so that I automatically connect on LinkedIn with all my business contacts.
I’ve pitched this idea a few times and I’ve heard others pitch very similar ideas, but has anyone built it yet? I’ve had a look at Plaxo, Soocial and UNYK, but it’s not quite what I’m after. Has anyone found anything better? Unless someone has:
I’ve decided: I want this tool, so I’m building it!
While I’m designering this start-up I’m planning to share lot’s of information on the process, because the more and the earlier I get feedback, the better the end result. Especially since I’ve met so many smart entrepreneurs over the last few years! I’ll be roughly following the StartupCamp formula, only spread over a longer time period. So let’s get started:
Domain Name: xs2.me
About 18 months ago I registered this domain. It’s short and hopefully memorable. It refers to the fact that xs2.me (pronounce: access to me) gives you access to your digital self (hmm, bit fluffy).
xs2.me helps you manage your connections across social media, email and mobile.
(this section needs a lot of work)
Features (the bare minimum)
– Import Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn contacts
– Tagging of contacts
– Auto-connect on Facebook, MySpace, Twitter and LinkedIn
Is this really the bare minimum or could I launch with less?
– Import CSV
– Import Outlook, (iPhone)
– Synch with Outlook and iPhone
– Sent message to a group using whatever method is available (Email, Twitter, Facebook message, SMS, etc)
– Update status on all or some platforms all at once
– GMail integration
– API to access all your data
– Find additional info about contacts (such as their blog/flickr/twitter/etc)
Crazy future features
– Full backup and history of all changes
– Import all updates from all networks, etc and aggregate onto a single dashboard
– Aggregate all status updates, blog posts, photos posted, tweets etc of your contacts onto a single page
– Also aggregate the above for all your contacts or for certain tags (an overview of what is happening in the world of your friends, or your family, or people in your company)
– Etc, etc, etc
I obviously think this rocks with bells on! But am I missing something? Is this only cool for me and 3 other people, or is there a need for this? Comments please!